Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Season 6 Episode 15

I know I've been kinda absent lately. Just been going through my things on a private plane. It's weird, sometimes I'm totally outgoing, others I just retreat.

Tonight I've been watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition. I'm not in the habit of watching it, as I just don't watch much TV. But this particular episode that aired Sunday featured Chapman. Chapman is a small town about 30 miles SE of Manhattan. When the Tornado came through back in June, before taking out a section of Manhattan, it basically completely leveled Chapman. It took out both schools, and just left a lot of people devastated.

You know, it's different watching that show, when you recognize the businesses that helped out. Most of those businesses are located in Manhattan. A lot of the volunteers came from Manhattan. And it's a fabulous thing, that the show acts as the gathering force to orchestrate the coming together of so many people, but it truly is the people, the volunteers that make that whole thing possible.

It was kinda weird also, to see the interview parts in the first section of the show that took place on Ft. Riley. My friend Chara used to live in that same neighborhood that the family lived in. I drive through another that was shown on the show a good percentage of my visits. It's just different when it's so close to home, and not a bunch of people that live somewhere else you've never heard of.

Anyhow, if you want to see what I'm rambling about head over to abc.go.com and check out Episode 15. It brought tears to my eyes more often than I'd like to admit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd watch it but it's blocked for those of us who live outside the US. I'm not a regular of the show but everytime I have watched it I've gotten teary. It's a good program.

I can't remember if I emailed you or not. Yesterday I had my first migraine in months & while it's better today (I can handle light again) I'm still rather pathetic.

Dawn said...

Hi, Denise! That's awesome, and ironic because this week and over the weekend, that show is in Tucson building a deserving family a new house! I'm anxious to see it one day!