Thursday, February 26, 2009

Better than expected, not as well as I had hoped

That pretty much sums up my feelings about the parent teacher conference. I went in prayed up, and over analyzing all the possible angles like I always do. I shared that the reason why he was pulled out yesterday was to see the therapist, and this is what she noticed .... and gave the run down of what she had said. His teachers don't agree. They have big doubts that a lady who met with him one hour could ascertain that he's bored when he doesn't open up that easily. (Never mind the fact she's licensed and specializes in military and children.) They don't understand how he can be bored when he has work to do, and he's choosing to not do it. I tried to explain, but they just don't seem to see it the same way.

However, they did agree to try some of the things that were suggested. Extra "special" work that is a little bit harder will be given to him after he completes what is needed for that class. They will give him lined paper that is not as big as well. Even though I said several times that the therapist suggested he be tested for giftedness, and I want him tested for an IEP, we ended the meeting with "we'll try these things and see how it goes". So I don't think they're going to be testing him for an IEP. The councilor made the comment that they can't test for giftedness at this age.

So while I am thankful they are willing to try a few things to hopefully rescue him from boredom, I have a feeling I'm still going to have to fight for him to be tested. I'm just praying so hard that these extra steps that will be taken will be enough that he actually tries. If he does, they'll get to see how smart he really is. I mean even his communications teacher showed that the writing in his journal at the beginning of the year was better than his writing now. And I told her that it's because they are loosing him. He no longer feels like he needs to show them what he's capable of. If they don't reach him now, they're going to loose him to a point where he won't be reachable.

It's just that now I am living out all I had not liked about Public School when homeschooling my kids. Public school is set "this is the way we do things, the child needs to adapt". And you know, when you have twenty kids in a class, that's the way it usually has to be. But that's not the best learning environment. The best is finding where the kid is at and adapt the teaching to the child! This school is set up that first and second is grouped together, third with fourth, and fifth with sixth. This way kids are not split up entirely by age, but by academic capabilities. I love that about this school! I had just hoped that it would have carried over to being more willing to treat his needs more specifically.

And I do have to give the school credit. My oldest son struggles so very much with reading, grammar and spelling. That school is doing all it can to help him. He's on an IEP and I really do feel he's in good hands. Isn't it ironic how it's the smart kids that get left behind? The therapist told me something yesterday that will stick with me forever. She said 40% of drop-outs are gifted. 40%. It reminds me of my husband, who graduated only thanks to summer school. He ditched all the time, never really tried. Once he got out of high school and actually applied himself, he's graduated at the top of every single school the Marine Corps and Army sent him to. His mom tells stories about when he was in the second grade, everything just went south from there, all because the system failed him. I'm not willing to let that happen to my son. I'm just not.

Anyhow... on to an entirely different topic. I got an early birthday present today. I'm so spoiled! I got a new camera, and I absolutely love it! It's a Canon Power Shot, and I've been playing around with it today. It's going to take me a while to learn all of it's features. I am so anxious for Spring to hurry up and show its self. I can't wait to go on a photo safari and give my hand a try at getting some pretty pics. I told my kids that their gift to me will have to be patience while mommy follows them around taking pics. My girls however LOVE to have their pictures taken, so this might backfire on me! lol

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will be praying that this will work. As for not testing at that age...phooey. I was about that age when I was put on the GATE program (for gifted students). Hopefully the extra work will show that you do know your own son & what he's capable of.

I won't even start on public schools & troubled but smarter than average kids. Had such bad experiences that I still get so dang angry.

Next week is birthday week--you, my sister, & me. 35 sounds so old. :(

Time for Me said...

I am at a loss as to why they say they don't tested for gifted. I have never heard of that!! I am sure the extra work will help and hopefully at least give them a baseline that the poor kid IS bored...

Being gifted is a tough spot to be in. I have a kid at my school (which is an emotinal/behavior disorder school) who just tested at high school for his vocabulary/decoding skills in reading.. and 4-5 grade in math and he is in third grade!!! Poor kid is probably just bored in public school as your son is.. :) Now it's time for me to make it a challenge for him!! It's fun for me actually, but I only have 3 students currently!!

Dawn said...

Aw, Denise, I'm sorry! I know what you mean about public schools. After teaching in one for a year that had nothing to do with the inspiration of a child-centered classroom I gained from my professors at NAU, I got out, perhaps regretfully too soon. I taught first grade and some of my little 6 and 7 year olds were tested though. I think it's great that there are multi-aged classrooms though. I'll pray for your Jonathan- he can do it!