Monday, February 9, 2009

I think I saw Dorthy fly by...

Today has been unbelievably windy. All of Kansas was under a wind advisory. My son's poor basketball hoop has fallen over so many times his hoop is no longer circular, it's oval! My trash can is a big one, it's fallen over twice and slid across our drive way. The speed limit sign across the street was pulled out of the ground. It was just unbelievable. The news says there were maintained 20mph wind, gusts in the low 30s. No wonder the Wizard of Oz was set in Kansas!

Unfortunately my meeting with Johnathan's teachers didn't go as I had hoped. I really do wish I had more of a backbone. I brought the talk around to the fact that he really needs to be challenged more and it always was steered away. I feel for the teachers, all they see is a little boy that can't behave. I'm the first to say that he's not as emotionally mature as he should be. But my saying that they need to treat the behavior problems separate than his education was not accepted. At the mention of an IEP I was pretty much shot down. I was told that was for kids who are emotionally unstable, and he should get therapy. That left me speechless, I've done my research, I know what an IEP is really for. I really do wish I had been stronger.

On the positive, they are starting a new chart, hoping his seeing immediate recording of his behavior will help him. I also gave them permission to keep him after school if they need to. It's just so frustrating! He's so smart, so bright, but he doesn't want to show them. He has no desire to prove to them what he knows.

I think I made a mistake in telling them that if this is not resolved by the end of the school year he will be homeschooled next year. Immediately I got opposition from them. But the fact is, he's not learning at a rate he should/could be. Yes, it's mostly because he makes it so stinking difficult, but I felt like they wouldn't even entertain the idea that he's acting this way because he's not being challenged. I don't know, being a teacher is an incredibly hard job. But mom... now that's tougher.

2 comments:

Time for Me said...

Reading your post made me angry. Not at you of course, but that school!!! First of all.. if you request your son to be tested for an IEP.. you should get it.. YOU ARE THE PARENT AND HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DO THAT.. so keep pushing.I know it's hard to speak up.. but you can request that he gets tested. They may be concerned that he won't qualify because you do need to qualify in two areas.. ask J.. she had the same issue with J1. If anything.. they will find through his testing that there are some things that could help him. I understand your frustration.....but if you think he needs the help or even to find out he is gifted and needs the challenge.. then keep pushing it!!

Denise said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this struggle, but it really is a shame. Why people think that they know kids better than that kid's own parent, I'll never understand!