Friday, December 5, 2008

The tale of two wildcats

Okay, so my husband's alarm went off at 4:30 this morning. What the heck is the army thinking?!?!? These soldiers just spent 15 months in a desert who's recent weather averaged 75 degrees F. After being home less than a week, they want them to go PT in less than 20 degree weather. Idiots... I swear!

Anyway, so though I try as I might I can't get back to sleep. So after some prayer time I'm on my laptop still in bed :), checking my e-mail. I know I've said it a thousand times over, but I love living in this smaller atmosphere. Back about a month ago, the 1st and 2nd graders had a poster contest for the K-state Basketball season. Johnathan's class won which got them a visit from the K-State mascot, Willie the Wildcat.

Now this isn't going to matter to anyone but me, and those friends of mine that grew up in Arizona. See, my home town, Tucson, Arizona is home to the University of Arizona, which happens to have the wildcat as it's mascot also. So I grew up with one distinct "wildcat" mascot, it's weird to see a different logo and different mascot attached to the "wildcat" name.




Wilbur Wildcat:


Willie the Wildcat:



Honestly, I think the Arizona one is superior, because the wildcat head on a human body just gives me the willies. (pun intended) I mean, yeah, we all know it's a guy in the costume, but at least Arizona tries to mask the fact.

And my friends that are loyal to Tucson may want to throw tomatoes at me for this next comment... I think the superiority stops there.

Where Wilbur is a fun character, great to have around at game time, I don't recall it ever being involved with the community, with younger children outside of sporting events. Willie the Wildcat is. My sons class got to go to the K-State college and see the locker rooms and basketball court and football field first hand. Willie was with them as they took the "secret stairs" that led them outside. Willie signed autographs and if you didn't have something for him to sign, he'd sign your arm for you. (I know... the marker still hasn't come off my sons arm!)

The fact that K-State is involved with the youth at the younger ages outside of sporting events thrills me. My little man came home so psyched up about his visit, he was just bubbling over with excitement. Though this might seem un-important for most, think of the early impact. It is making young kids excited about college really. My son will never forget the day he got to go to the college, he's going to feel that connection, and how he felt important and special, like he belonged there. It's just awesome that's all.

So as I leave this post that I'll be scratching my head about later, wondering where the heck it all came from (I blame the 4:30am alarm clock!!) I shall leave with a picture my son's teacher sent me.



PS Oh, and if you're like me and interested in useless little trivia facts when you have time to kill... According to Wiki, K-State created the costumed wildcat mascot first. Willie is 12 years older than Wilbur.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok my college mascot was a cowboy so I have no loyalties to either cat LOL. Just gotta say that the giant head in the pic with your son is a lil creepy. :)

I think it's great that get excited about college so young. That's awesome!

Gonna email ya later when the older 'boys' are gone.

Anonymous said...

Me again...where did you get the layout for your blog? Really like it!

Denise said...

I made it. :) I didn't make the graphics, but I gathered them from different free digital scrapbook sets and put them together to make it. I'll be e-mailing you soon (I hope!)

Sandy said...

That is so neat looks like he had a great time. My son's high school's mascot is wildcat also. There color's are purple and gold.

Where is the best place you would say would be the best place to get the basic scrapbook stuff to get started? I want to make each of my kid's one. I have never done one before so what basic stuff do I need? I thank you for any information you could give me.

Hope you and your family have a great weekend...*Hugs*

Anonymous said...

Where's the blog post you were going to "force" yourself to write yesterday? Hubby won't be home for 3 more hours and I'm bored and want something to read. :)

Denise said...

Sorry! We had a mini-financial crisis here last night that derailed my plans. His next pay was posted and the realization that we'll be getting $1600 less a month kind of caused a panic. I'll do my best later, but I know you'll have hubby to catch up with by then. ;)